Keep in mind that some of the links in this post are affiliate links and if you go through them to make a purchase I will earn a commission. Keep in mind that I link these companies and their products because of their quality and not because of the commission I receive from your purchases. The decision is yours, and whether or not you decide to buy something is completely up to you.
No matter how much we tell the kids to wash their hands, we still end up with the beginning of the year school cold. It seems inevitable. School is back in session and we all are sneezing and coughing like crazy.
In our house we try really hard to avoid taking medicine and reserve it for times it is absolutely necessary. Here are some of the home remedies we use in our house that work for us to fight that pesky cold.
1. Lots of garlic, I actually chomp on a whole clove and it works great for me. My kids won’t do it though so I just add it to our meals, in abundance.
2. Homemade chicken noodle soup, it’s what’s for dinner. The delicious stock is filled with lots of garlic, onion, carrots, celery and chicken with a pasta or rice.
3. When it is time to head to bed, cut up a potato into slices and put one slice on the bottom of each foot and cover with socks. The potatoes draw out the sickness while you sleep. It is actually an amazing thing to see when you wake up in the morning.
4. Cut an onion in half and put it in a bowl on your bedside table. The onion draws in the sickness and traps it inside. It works in a similar way to the potato in your socks.
5. Local honey, we take it by the spoonful. This is one the kids love too. It is so soothing. Also putting it in tea is a great way to soothe a sore throat.
6. Rubbing Vicks Vapor Rub on the bottom of your feet with socks help with congestion.
7. For ears that hurt we use white vinegar. Dip a q-tip in white vinegar and use it on the ridge of your ear. Don’t stick the q-tip in your ear! Gently, rub the q-tip around the inner ridge of the ear. After, use your finger to close and rub your ear canal. This will allow the vinegar to seep in slowly and will dry up anything in there. We have saved ourselves from many an ear infection with this simple trick.
8. Take a multi-vitamin. The kids love vitamin gummies. We take adult big people pills.
Consult your doctor
Please make sure you consult a doctor at any time you feel it is necessary. These tips are in no way medical advice. They are just some home remedies we use.
We would love to learn about your tried and tested home remedies as well. Please share with us in the comments!
Be sure to check out our blog post about the Rhythms of Life if you want to learn more about us!