Keep in mind that some of the links in this post are affiliate links and if you go through them to make a purchase I will earn a commission. Keep in mind that I link these companies and their products because of their quality and not because of the commission I receive from your purchases. The decision is yours, and whether or not you decide to buy something is completely up to you.
- 4 1/2 Cups Flour
- 2 tsp Yeast
- 1 1/4 tsp Salt to taste
- 2 Tbsp Sugar
- 1 Large Egg
- 3 Tbsp Softened Butter
- 1 3/4 Cup Lukewarm Milk
- Cornmeal Sprinkling on Griddle
- Combine all ingredients (except corn meal) in the bowl of a stand mixer.
- Beat with the flat beater paddle until dough comes away from the sides of the bowl. The dough should be smooth and shiny and very soft. Usually takes about 5 minutes.
- Scrape the dough into a rough ball, put the ball in a greased large bowl, cover and let rise for 1-2 hours.
- Sprinkle the cornmeal on a cold griddle.
- Deflate the dough ball and divide into 16 pieces.
- Shape each ball into a smooth ball and flatten until 3″ to 3 1/2″ in diameter.
- Cover dough balls and let rest for 20 minutes. This will allow them to puff up a bit more.
- Cook the muffins on low heat for 7-15 minutes on each side. They will have a nice golden brown crust. The center of the muffin should be 200 degrees.
- Remove from the griddle And cool before storing in an airtight container.
- If you want the nooks and crannies, split the muffins with a fork and do not use a knife to slice them.