Keep in mind that some of the links in this post are affiliate links and if you go through them to make a purchase I will earn a commission. Keep in mind that I link these companies and their products because of their quality and not because of the commission I receive from your purchases. The decision is yours, and whether or not you decide to buy something is completely up to you.
Homemade Gold Fish Crackers
- 8 Ounce Sharp Chedder Cheese Shredded (Use orange cheese for that goldfish color.)
- 4 TBSP Butter cubed
- 1 Cup All purpose Flour
- 1 tsp Salt To taste
- 2 TBSP Cold Water
- Using a food processor, pulse all the ingredients except the water. We have a small food processor so we had to do it in two batches. We had to half everything and just doing it twice.
- Pulse in the water, 1 TBSP at a time if doing it all at once. If dong it in 2 batches, add 1/2 TBSP to start and then the second half.
- Remove the dough from the processor bowl and gather into a ball on plastic wrap.
- Wrap the dough up and in the plastic wrap.
- Let the dough chill in the fridge for 20 minutes or so.
- Roll the dough on a very lightly floured surface. You want it pretty thin, although you can experiment with thickness to find your favorite. I didn't roll mine quite enough the first try but I still really like the cracker, it just was not as airy as original goldfish. Remember, the crackers will puff when cooking.
- Cut the dough with a cookie cutter into your desired shape. I suggest using a small cookie cutter. If you use a large one, your crackers will be huge. We used a pig and a circle because our littlest loves Peppa Pig.
- Place the cutouts on parchment paper that is lining your baking sheet. We sprayed a little cooking spray on ours to prevent any sticking.
- Bake in a 350 degree oven for about 15 minutes. The crackers should be crispy but certainly not burnt. We pulled ours at 13 minutes.
These homemade Goldfish crackers are so easy to make and have a much better, real cheddar cheese taste to them. The flavor really pops!
I love finding homemade recipes for the kids favorite snacks. A lot of times, they are hit or miss. These do not taste exactly like goldfish crackers, but our family certainly enjoyed the flavor of them. If you keep that in mind, I am sure you all will love them too!
I brought a bunch of these to work the other day and my coworkers keep asking me to bring more! They ate them faster than I ever imaged they would. The light, airy flavor is irresistible for sure!
These crackers are absolutely a snack for all ages to enjoy. I highly recommend them to everyone I talk to about snacks for kids. They keep really well in an airtight container but I highly doubt they will last long enough to need any long term keeping.
We feel this recipe could be done in so many different ways and look forward to trying different flavors. We are planning to make them with Parmesan flavoring soon. I also think they would be really good with a gruyere cheese. Really, the sky is the limit with the amount of cheese options there are in this world! Have fun experiementing and let us know the flavors you come up with!
We would love to hear your thoughts on this easy recipe! If you try them, please give us a shout in the comments. We also love to hear how people modify recipes to their own liking, so be sure to share that as well.
If you like our recipe for Homemade Goldfish Crackers, you may want to try our Pie Crust Cinnamon Pinwheels!
The Kitchn.com has a great post you might want to check out: How to Make Crackers at Home